Historical Core of Trogir
Trogir is an excellent example of urban continuity. The orthogonal street plan of this island settlement originates from the Hellenic era – consecutive rulers continued to decorate it with exceptional public and residential buildings and forts. Its beautiful roman churches are supplemented with exceptional renaissance and baroque buildings. The most significant building is the Trogir Cathedral with its west portal, a masterpiece of Radovan and the most significant example of roman and gothic art in Croatia.
Trogir has 2300 years of continuous urban tradition. Its culture was created under the influence of the ancient Greeks, and then the Romans, and Venetians. Trogir has a high concentration of palaces, churches, and towers, as well as a fortress on a small island, and in 1997 was inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
In the 3rd century BC Tragurion was founded by Greek colonists from the island of Vis (Issa) and it developed into a major port until the Roman period. The name comes from the Greek “tragos” (male goat). The sudden prosperity of Salona deprived Trogir of its importance. During the migration of Slavs the citizens of the destroyed Salona escaped to Trogir. From the 9th century on, Trogir paid tribute to Croatian rulers. The diocese of Trogir was established in the 11th century (abolished in 1828; it is now part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Split-Makarska) and in 1107 it was chartered by the Hungarian-Croatian king Coloman, gaining thus its autonomy as a town.
In 1123 Trogir was conquered and almost completely demolished by the Saracens. However, Trogir recovered in a short period to experience powerful economic prosperity in the 12th and the 13th centuries. In 1242 King Bela IV found refuge there as he fled the Mongols. In the 13th and the 14th centuries, members of the Šubić family were most frequently elected dukes by the citizens of Trogir. In Dalmatia, the city was known as Tragur.
After the War of Chioggia between Genova and Venice, on 14 March 1381 Chioggia concluded an alliance with Zadar and Trogir against Venice, and finally Chioggia became better protected by Venice in 1412, because Šibenik then became the seat of the main customs office and the seat of the salt consumers office with a monopoly on the salt trade in Chioggia and on the whole Adriatic Sea. In 1420 began the period of a long-term Venetian rule.
On the fall of Venice in 1797, Trogir became a part of the Habsburg Empire which ruled over the city until 1918, with the exception of French occupation from 1806 to 1814. After World War I, Trogir, together with Croatia, became a part of the State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs and subsequently, the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. During World War II, Trogir was occupied by Italy and subsequently liberated in 1944. Since then it belonged to the second Yugoslavia, and from 1991 to Croatia.
ACI Marina Trogir
The ACI Marina Trogir is situated on the island of Čiovo, opposite the centre of the town of Trogir which has been included in UNESCO’s list of cultural heritage. From the marina one can enjoy a view of the bell-tower of the Church of St. Lawrence the entrance of which is the famous portal of master craftsman Radovan. The island of Čiovo and the town of Trogir are connected by a bridge 2.8 metres above the sea. Trogir is very well connected to the mainland’s road network, and in the immediate vicinity of the town is Split international airport (6 km).