Blue Grotto, Biševo
The small island Biševo, located less than five nautical miles from Komiža, the cradle of falkuša, hides the famous Modra Špilja (the blue cave), which was painted in 1884 and described by baron Eugen von Ransonet. At his initiative, the entrance to the cave was widened and so became accessible to the whole world. Thus visible, beauty of the cave, coloured in silvery blue, has constantly attracted tourists ever since. The cave has two openings; a smaller one artificially made so that boats can pas through, while the other, a much wider arch, lies beneath the sea level on the south side of the cave.
Sunlight that penetrates through this underwater entrance firstly breaks and then reflects from the bottom of the cave.
Region: Dalmatia – Split